cc-metadata - Re: [cc-metadata] [cc-devel] Exif metadata

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Luis Villa <luis AT tieguy.org>
  • Cc: CC Developer Mailing List <cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org>, CC Metadata Mailing List <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-metadata] [cc-devel] Exif metadata
  • Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 22:36:41 -0700

On Sun, 2006-08-20 at 16:57 -0400, Luis Villa wrote:
> On 8/20/06, Luke Hoersten <luke.hoersten AT gmail.com> wrote:
> > Luis,
> > Verification is optional and I don't see anyone disputing this.
>
> (Re-reads original email.)
>
> So... the terminology has probably drifted a bit here :) The original
> email implied that EXIF had only one copyright field, and Mike
> suggested that should point at some page which was *not* the official
> CC URI. Thus (if I understood correctly, which is not necessarily the
> case, please do clarify if I'm misunderstanding) Mike's original
> suggestion was not the same as mandatory verification, but it would
> preclude mandatory license ID in the file- since there is only one
> field. (The combined field usage you suggested later would avoid this
> problem, but it isn't what Mike suggested originally.)

There's no mandatory anything here...

> > There
> > is indeed a need for verification because that is what people want.
> > There are many different contexts for the word "need" and I think you
> > are assuming the legal context when I mean a communal context.
>
> I mean both. I've been doing this for a long time, and never seen
> anyone in an open source community or in a corporate legal setting
> feel a need to do license verification, except under very unusual
> circumstances, where the license was used in a broken or non-standard
> way which made people doubt the provenance. Is this want actually a
> demonstrated community need, or just hypothetical?
>
> > Back to my first email, the issue of optional verification has already
> > been resolved with MP3 licenses.
>
> Yup. Thanks for the pointer- I agree that that would be perfectly
> acceptable. It's not what Mike originally suggested in this thread,
> though. :)

I didn't suggest it because there doesn't seem to be an appropriate
field to use in Exif, though if there is one or a custom field
capability I don't know about please someone do tell.

Also note that one can use XMP embedded metadata with JPEGs and it can
handle both a "WebStatement" and a license URL.

I would suggest that CC recommend only using XMP but AFAIK Exif support
is much more widespread.

--
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/User:Mike_Linksvayer