cc-metadata - Re: Displaying CC info in Google tech challenge

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Displaying CC info in Google tech challenge
  • Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 12:07:53 -0800

Matthew Haughey wrote:
After checking out BetterSearch for Firefox[1], I was intrigued by how a plugin could basically insert new information into a Google result page and my first thought was "How hard would it be to extend ccMoz[2] to do something similar with Google results pages?"

I could request the BetterSearch developer to roll this into the plugin but figured it might be easy to extend existing code like mozCC into displaying added info on Google itself (maybe even Google images too?)

Great idea. Looks very doable. It'd a little bit different from BetterSearch's existing info source -- Amazon/Alexa web services.

The extension would have to fetch each search result and look for metadata there as mozCC does now when browsing a page. Doing so would open up lots of other possibilities for metadata extraction, e.g., outgoing links, FOAF, XFN, technorati tags, in addition to license info.

Would be cool as a BetterSearch enhancement or as an independent tool.

Separately, BetterSearch could include search.creativecommons.org in the list of sites it can enhance with images and info from Alexa/Amazon.

http://creativecommons.org/about/people#21