cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] ShareAlike compatibility process and criteria: your comments wanted

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Arne Babenhauserheide <arne_bab AT web.de>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] ShareAlike compatibility process and criteria: your comments wanted
  • Date: Wed, 07 May 2014 11:01:04 +0200

Am Donnerstag, 1. Mai 2014, 17:59:19 schrieb Kat Walsh:
> The ones who aren't just going ahead are
> generally more legally conservative, concerned about legal risk if all
> the details aren't just right.

To me this is about not having an open flank. If I used projects under GPL
and BY-SA together, then someone could try to bring down my whole project by
doing a small contribution to one of the other projects and then wait until I
include that contribution and release a new version. Then he or she could sue
me on copyright violation.

A single person who hates me is enough for that. And since I also write
political texts and have a pretty strong opinion on free culture, I’m pretty
sure that there are already people who really want to see me fall (a few
weeks ago I told someone in a heated discussion that in my moral code unfree
licensing is similar to forcing your fans to wear shackles whenever they
experience or even just remember your creation…).

That is why I have to stay on strong legal ground. I cannot just hope that
every single person who gets my works will be nice to me. Note that this is
much different from thinking that 90% of people are fair and nice. Even if
99.999% of people loved me, a single person who hates me would suffice to get
me into deep trouble if I did not take care with copyright.

Best wishes,
Arne
--
1w6 sie zu achten,