cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Compatibility open issue #2: Effective Technological Measures

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Luis Villa <luis AT tieguy.org>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Compatibility open issue #2: Effective Technological Measures
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2014 17:03:43 -0700

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 2:47 PM, Mike Linksvayer <ml AT gondwanaland.com> wrote:
On 04/28/2014 03:20 PM, Kat Walsh wrote:
> The CC licenses forbid licensees from applying effective technological
> measures to licensed material. Must a compatible license forbid
> application of ETMs, in the way CC licenses do? If not, would CC want
> to require a parallel distribution free of ETMs?

Parallel distribution (or better, source distribution, in case of GPL)
should be enough, especially combined with circumvention permission. We
don't have good evidence on the effectiveness in practice of the ETM
measure in the CC licenses,

I will avoid relitigating closed issues.
I will avoid relitigating closed issues.
I will avoid relitigating closed issues.

so potentially compatible licenses in order
to be in the same spirit should have an approach or approaches to
countering ETMs, but not necessarily the exact approach taken by CC.

This strikes me as a reasonable compromise.

Luis