cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Translation of Exceptions and Limitations

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Teresa Nobre <teresaraposonobre AT gmail.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Translation of Exceptions and Limitations
  • Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 00:13:18 +0000

I suggest the use of the original terms in English with quotation marks and the (literal) translation of the same in brackets or vice-versa. That's what the Portuguese team did in the Deeds.

Best,
Teresa

Thanks for raising this issue, Gisle. The references to fair use and fair dealing are intended merely as examples of exceptions and limitations to copyright. The question of whether they translate and/or are recognizable in other languages is an interesting one, and it is an issue CC has dealt with in the past during the porting process with respect to other terms (e.g., regarding the term "Creative Commons").

We're inclined to think the parentheticals about U.S. and UK law are not an ideal solution, but we are curious to hear what the rest of the affiliate community has to say on this. Another possibility is to include the terms in English with quotation marks, perhaps in parentheticals?

best,
Sarah

Sarah Hinchliff Pearson, CC Senior Counsel
http://creativecommons.org/staff#sarahhinchliffpearson
sarah AT creativecommons.org