cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] 4.0: misc changes and date for closing public discussion

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Anthony <ok AT theendput.com>
  • To: Diane Peters <diane AT creativecommons.org>
  • Cc: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] 4.0: misc changes and date for closing public discussion
  • Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 12:23:33 -0400

On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 10:25 AM, Diane Peters <diane AT creativecommons.org> wrote:
Yes, that's correct.  You can produce adaptations under the ND licenses, but you're not given permission to Share them.  Keep in mind that Sharing is only prohibited if permission to do so is required.

Well, it's not quite clear how that interacts with 17 USC 109 et. al.

Permission is generally *not* required to loan a copy of a book to a friend. Can I lend a copy of an adapted version of an ND work to a friend? What if I charge the friend? What if they're not friends, and I made 10,000 copies?