cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Request for feedback: compatibility with BY-NC-SA?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <rob AT robmyers.org>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Request for feedback: compatibility with BY-NC-SA?
  • Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2013 18:27:23 +0000

On 26/02/13 19:47, Kat Walsh wrote:

On balance, we think including it is the right decision. One of the
primary goals for us in the 4.0 process has been enabling greater
interoperability and compatibility with other works in the commons
(http://wiki.creativecommons.org/4.0#Goals_and_objectives), and we
think that in light of that goal, it is important to include things
like a compatibility mechanism for BY-NC-SA even if it ends up unused.

I don't think this is a good idea. If it's not going to be used, then it rilly doesn't need to be added. :-)

With BY-SA, there are already existing copyleft licenses that BY-SA postdates. So compatibility there addresses an existing problem.

With BY-NC-SA, legitimising (however fractionally) the creation of more such licenses is potentially creating new problems.

- Rob.