cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Request for feedback: termination and cure

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Anthony <osm AT inbox.org>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>, sarah AT creativecommons.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Request for feedback: termination and cure
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 10:11:08 -0500

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 6:00 PM, Sarah Pearson
<sarah AT creativecommons.org> wrote:
> Specifically, licensees
> have 30 days after discovering a problem to correct it and regain permission
> to use the licensed material. The 30-day window is designed to give
> licensees a reasonable amount of time to fix the problem. The window begins
> running after discovery of the problem because it is designed to help
> innocent rather than willful violators.

Is it just me, or is it ambiguous as to what constitutes "discovery of
the violation"? Specifically, whether innocent violation excuses
ignorance of the law/contract-terms, or merely ignorance of facts.
And assuming we're talking about ignorance of the law/contract-terms,
does the ignorance have to be reasonable?

Some sort of notice provision more like the GPL would be a much more
objective test.