cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] TPMs & Open Access

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <rob AT robmyers.org>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] TPMs & Open Access
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 11:03:21 +0000

I think it would be good to ensure that watermarks/fingerprints can be removed. They have no expressive purpose as part of a work and are essentially spyware.

Nicholas Bentley <nicholas AT commonrights.com> wrote:
Thanks Sarah, Heather,

It is good to confirm that these identifiers/fingerprinting would not form part of the TPM's referred to in the circumvention clause.

Drew raises another interesting question though. If the identifiers/fingerprinting I was talking about were specifically there to identify the right holder / creator of the work and hence formed part of the attribution chain would anyone have the right to remove them as attribution is required under CC licenses.

Regards,   Nicholas