cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Will CC 4.0 Make NC Clause Problems Worse?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Anthony <osm AT inbox.org>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Will CC 4.0 Make NC Clause Problems Worse?
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 08:59:11 -0400

While thinking about this we should keep in mind that the NC licenses
do not ban commercial use. They ban exercising any of the exclusive
rights of the copyright holder "in any manner that is primarily
intended for or directed toward commercial advantage or private
monetary compensation".

A key word there is "primarily".

Of course, this to some extent only serves to make the waters more
murky. There is certainly an argument that someone who is printing
and selling books can have an intent which is primarily educational,
and that their purpose in charging a price is to assist in the goal of
educating, rather than vice versa.