cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Version 4:0:Rebranding "noncommercial" to "commercial rights reserved": please don't!

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Version 4:0:Rebranding "noncommercial" to "commercial rights reserved": please don't!
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 18:49:07 -0400

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 11:14:48 -0700, Heather Morrison <hgmorris AT sfu.ca>
wrote:
snip

> Noncommercial is a broader concept than "commercial rights reserved"
> - it includes the concept that commercial rights are reserved, but
> also allows those who do not want their work used for commercial
> purposes at all a CC option. Not everyone will like this, but it is
> not realistic to please everyone. A commons that includes those who
> prefer NC (currently the majority of CC works, I understand) who would
> not move to commercial rights reserved (an unknown number - at least
> one person, me), is a larger commons than one that excludes our
> participation.

Heather, in searching for something else, I came across what may be my
first post to a cc list on the possibility of a CC license that would
prevent everyone from using the work for commercial purposes. Everyone
including the copyright holder:

https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-licenses/2005-March/001723.html

"I can imagine circumstances where NC has a place for other than
economic
reasons. What about the option for a binding pledge on the part of the
original author to not excercise his right to the commercial option
when
releasing BY-NC-SA?"

I still don't recall anyone ever taking me up on the possibility of
drafting such a license as opposed to the advisability of doing so.