cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] 912 emails about DRM

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <rob AT robmyers.org>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] 912 emails about DRM
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 18:58:29 +0100

On 04/18/2012 06:28 PM, Francesco Poli wrote:

Exactly, and I think the case of digital works is especially
illuminating, since there's no source availability requirement in
current CC-by-sa: as a consequence, one can distribute a
CC-by-sa-licensed digital work in a format that really hampers
modifications, without being compelled to make source code (== the
preferred form for making modifications) available in parallel.

Once can, but unlike with DRM one cannot have people fined or imprisoned if they decide they are going to do the work of translating the work to a more useful format.

Low-fidelity or non-machine-readable media are a separate issue from legal restrictions. In the absence of copyright or DRM I can scan a hardback book or rip a vinyl record, neither of which are high-fidelity, digital, or read/write media.

Essentially, if we don't object to DRM we shouldn't object to copyright, as they are both legal restrictions on our ability to use a work *to the extent that we would otherwise be able to*. This is not a coherent position for ShareAlike.

- Rob.