cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] 4.0 draft: Does not include time-limited provisions?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Sarah Pearson <sarah AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] 4.0 draft: Does not include time-limited provisions?
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 10:45:07 -0700

Hi Gunnar,

Thanks for the question. The time-limited proposal was not addressed in the initial draft for a variety of reasons. Most importantly, our thinking was that this solution would introduce significant complexity into the licenses. We also noted that we already have the CC+ mechanism, which enables licensors to grant additional permissions beyond those built into the standard license terms.

Nonetheless, we are happy to have the discussion continue. We've added a section for pros/cons on the 4.0 Sandbox page relating to the proposal. We have added a few pros and cons, but we encourage people to add more considerations there.

One additional possibility is that the Additional Terms provision we are planning to include in the next draft could enable licensors to implement time-limited conditions. If this seems worthwhile, we welcome ideas on how it might work.

best,
Sarah

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 11:59 AM, Gunnar Wolf <gwolf AT gwolf.org> wrote:
Diane Peters dijo [Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 07:35:39AM -0700]:
> We are pleased to announce that the first draft of 4.0 BY-NC-SA is ready
> for public comment.  Please see the announcement below.  We're eager to
> hear from you!
>
> http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/32157

Hi,

During the past few months, some of us discussed here the posssibility
of adding time-limiting provisions to sets of restrictions in the
license. Look at the thread starting at this post:

 https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-licenses/2011-December/006453.html

I feel one of the discussion's most important points was precisely
this topic. Has it been completely abandoned? I could not find any
reference to it in the pages linked from the one you mention.