cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Version 4:0: suggested change to definition of "noncommercial"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: David Chart <bydosa AT davidchart.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Version 4:0: suggested change to definition of "noncommercial"
  • Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2012 15:29:57 +0900

On 2012/04/05, at 10:29, Heather Morrison wrote:

> For the
> avoidance of doubt, educational use - teaching and learning - is
> Noncommercial, and permitted by this Public License, while including
> the content in a package intended for sale to educational institutions
> for profit is Commercial, and prohibited by this Public License.

I'd like to reiterate my opposition to this. Education can be commercial or
non-commercial in the same way as any other activity, and can be judged by
the same standard: does the educator make money off it? Commercial education
use strikes me as a clear example of commercial use. I think it would be
deeply unfair to people who have used earlier NC licenses to change the
meaning in this way.

Your wording still lets me sell absolutely anything NC as part of a "course
pack" for a "distance learning course", incidentally. I'm selling to the
"students", not an educational institution.

--
David Chart
http://www.davidchart.com/