cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] derivatives and source

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: adam <adam AT xs4all.nl>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] derivatives and source
  • Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2012 18:11:19 +0200

hi,

With the new licenses is it possible to ask for the source to be provided in works that are licensed to allow derivatives? I know this issue mainly from the field of books. Now that open publishing (etc) is gaining enormous popularity I see more and more 'open books' made available in PDF only or mobi only formats etc.

GPL requires source as a pre-condition for 3 of its 4 freedoms I believe and I think that is for good reason. Derivatives require source. Without source derivatives are not realistic possibilities and PDF or other releases are nothing more than a 'mechanical' form of copyright protection.

I would actually like to see a source requirement in ND as well since it is impossible to transcode/transform into other formats sometimes without it. I am guessing that would be a less popular position however.

I also understand source doesnt apply to all media equally. However a 'where applicable the source must be provided in a standardised and reusable format' would help matters a lot...

adam