cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Articulating the commons: for the public domain, pro-noncommercial, and why require attribution?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Articulating the commons: for the public domain, pro-noncommercial, and why require attribution?
  • Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 11:38:35 -0500

On Wednesday 28 December 2011 23:59:15 pcreso AT pcreso.com wrote:
> In the Open Data Commons, the goal is to facilitate re-use & mashups. A
> dataset like OSM, with hundreds if not thousands of contributors, cannot
> easily manage an arbitrary & inconsistent attribution for everyone. Even
> tracking in a map, or downloaded dataset, which bits came from who is a
> nightmare for potential end users. There is no real equivalent case I know
> of with traditional "creative" works. The closest is perhaps a medley or
> parody.

Think of how many pieces of art/music/etc. may be seen or heard in a full
length movie. Now think if we did not have fair use/dealing exceptions.Now
think if copyright's reach is extended. (The push is on as anyone who is
paying attention knows.) Every building, every article of clothing, every
photo or painting seen in the movie, every mosaic on any floor, need I do on?