cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Serial Numbers and clarification of terms, (data & science commons)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: pcreso AT pcreso.com
  • To: Michael Lewis <mclewis AT yahoo.com>, Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Serial Numbers and clarification of terms, (data & science commons)
  • Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2011 15:21:11 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

Taking a broader view than just CC, or "The Commons", there are increasing Gov't initiatives around the world to openly release reports & data to facilitate reuse & add value.

There are, or at least I believe there are, a number of shortcomings with respect to CC licences in this domain, one of which is related to this thread. With a global trend towards federated metadata catalogues, as discovery tools with delivery mechanisms incorporated, UUID's are a prerequisite. Most cataloguing software applications generate them for records entered locally, and use things like timestamps & MAC addresses to ensure a statistically robust uniqueness across multiple application instances.

If CC was able to provide not just licences, but a robust globally available UUID/GUID service, that not only generated the ID upon request, but maybe also provided a registry of allocated ID's (perhaps via the OGC CSW protocol), I think this could be well used.

Such a service could also provide a parent/child service, so that a dataset could be registered, and any revised versions, reports or analyses using these data could be linked to the original.

This would be a significant change in scope for CC, and would perhaps be more in line with a Science or Data Commons than a Creative Commons, but with the discussions around a direction & needs for CC4, and an increasing use of CC licences applied to datasets, I think it is worth tossing into the discussion here.

Cheers

Brent Wood