cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] Compatibility with the Free Art License

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Antoine Pitrou <solipsis AT pitrou.net>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] Compatibility with the Free Art License
  • Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 16:57:35 +0100

Hello list,

The Copyleft Attitude collective (initiators and promoters of the Free
Art License which you can find at http://artlibre.org/licence/lal/en )
recently met to potential compatibility with the CC BY-SA.
We came to the following conclusions:

- We don't have any major issues with the CC BY-SA *3.0 unported* as
far as compatibility goes.

- Our remaining uncertainty is whether CC BY-SA 4.0 will be a suitable
target for compatibility (3.0 unported is). As far as we can tell,
the potential changes in CC BY-SA 4.0 feel reassuring. Specifically,
dropping national adaptations of the license makes things simpler and
safer for us.

- The licenses' current official versions (FAL 1.3 and BY-SA 3.0)
already include general compatibility guidelines (*). They seem
reasonably similar in their conditions; the main difference is
formal: with the FAL, compatibility is in theory automatic.

- In any case, an explicit (joint?) statement of reciprocal
compatibility by both projects is required for users, who don't want
to second-guess the respective license authors' intents.

- Also, CC would have to update
http://creativecommons.org/compatiblelicenses. We don't have
provisions for anything similar, but listing compatible licenses
would be the subject of (at least) a FAQ entry.

We would like to know if CC have any concerns on their side. If not, I
think we could start discussing practical details of establishing Real
Compatibility.

Regards

Antoine.

(*) For reference, CC BY-SA 3.0 compatibility criteria:

"Creative Commons Compatible License" means a license that is listed at
http://creativecommons.org/compatiblelicenses that has been approved by
Creative Commons as being essentially equivalent to this License,
including, at a minimum, because that license: (i) contains terms that
have the same purpose, meaning and effect as the License Elements of
this License; and, (ii) explicitly permits the relicensing of
adaptations of works made available under that license under this
License or a Creative Commons jurisdiction license with the same
License Elements as this License.

FAL 1.3 compatibility criteria:

A license is compatible with the Free Art License provided:
- it gives the right to copy, distribute, and modify copies of the work
including for commercial purposes and without any other restrictions
than those required by the respect of the other compatibility criteria;
- it ensures proper attribution of the work to its authors and access to
previous versions of the work when possible;
- it recognizes the Free Art License as compatible (reciprocity);
- it requires that changes made to the work be subject to the same
license or to a license which also meets these compatibility criteria.