cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Time limited CC licenses for version 4.0 ?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London"<email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Development of Creative Commons licenses"<cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Time limited CC licenses for version 4.0 ?
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 08:37:58 -0500

I dont see it being any more complex than adding an EXP option to the alphabet soup followed by a year and having that mean that January 1 of that year the work becomes public domain. Or maybe CC-BY because CC doesnt have a public domain license so explaining it requires more work. If the work becomes CC-BY on January 1 of the expiring year, expiration should be fairly easy to codify and everyone already knows what CC-BY means.

And you dont need anyone to register and track CC-NC-ND commitments. It is attached to the work via its license. If ANYONE  gets a copy of the work and it says CC-EXP2020, then they are free to treat the work as CC-BY starting the year 2020.

I dont know if Project Guttenberg offers cc-by works, but them or a site like them would simply need to keep a copy of the work around containing its original licence containing the EXP option, and when it expires it is CC-BY.

Greg London

Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless