cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CC-BY-SA-4.0 to [A]GPL, FLOSS games and multimedia software.

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CC-BY-SA-4.0 to [A]GPL, FLOSS games and multimedia software.
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 19:31:36 -0800

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 6:40 PM, Maciej Pendolski
<beholder0x100 AT gmail.com> wrote:
> GPL-licenced games (game code) with CC-BY-SA game content are a bit of a
> problem right now. A "functional" CC-BY-SA game content might be
> incompatible with GPL. Bellow is my [lousy] attempt at division of game
> content into functional and non-functional:

This is super interesting to me, and I know to several other people on
this list. I only have one specific comment for now (below), but given
it is a meaty topic, I'd request fleshing out specific use cases where
GPL and BY-SA (or for that matter BY) works interact in such a way
that some form of compatibility would help. For now I'm going to dump
your email into
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/GPL_compatibility_use_cases ... if
such gets worked out enough the relevant content can be moved into the
4.0 sub-wiki.

> Would it be legal to make CC-BY-SA 4.0 to be one-way
> "interoperable" with GPL version 3 "or later" instead of just GPL version 3?

Yes, if (a big if; per above I'm very interested, but no doubt much
vetting will be required, starting with the use cases) any
compatibility were to be enabled, it would only make sense to include
"or later", IMO. Mozilla Public License 2.0, which is about to be
final (and one of the people on this list, Luis Villa, is an authority
on), includes such a mechanism, see
https://mpl.mozilla.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/MPL-RC2.html
(search for "or later").

Mike