cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CC 4.0 - Libre Puro

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Kim Tucker <kctucker AT gmail.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CC 4.0 - Libre Puro
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 01:38:34 +0100

Thanks Mike as always for your well considered responses. I am not
sure time will allow me to do equal justice in my responses here or
elsewhere as you have requested. For now a few comments for this list:

> It is highly unlikely we'd add a new license to the suite (or re-add an
> old one, as you suggested on the wiki).

Unlikely, but I hope not impossible.

ShareAlike 1.0 was a mustard seed which was hardly given a chance to
germinate.

In an ideal world (imo) something like ShareAlike 4.0 should be the
default license on the Internet: people will find, copy and share
things (in a certain spirit) irrespective of other licenses.
Attribution will be done when applicable (e.g. for scientific
articles). Imposing restrictions must be done consciously.

> specific issues I'd love to have your contributions to:
>
> - BY-SA compatibility with other copyleft licenses.
> http://wiki.creativecommons.org/4.0/ShareAlike

In BY-SA: "Share Alike — If you alter, transform, or build upon this
work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or
similar license to this one."

This wording (on the deed) is fine: attribution and freedoms retained
in derived works.

Works derived from Libre Puro resources may be distributed under
CC-BY-SA "or similar license"s [which retain the essential freedoms].

> - Attribution. One doesn't have to require giving credit when releasing
> work under a BY* license, but perhaps there's something 4.0
> could do to make that more clear.

The point is users have to check - a small but significant barrier in
some sectors of our free culture. Libre Puro and ShareAlike 4.0 free
up those sections of our culture which do not require attribution
(e.g. kids making creative mixes to share with their friends, friends
sharing insights from some source or other, ...).

A new mustard seed ShareAlike 4.0 (or debugged Libre Puro) could spawn
new projects which may flourish - or, its existence may inspire its
use in society (not as part of any specific projects). CC0 - permits
enclosure (a process which is increasingly being automated!!).

All I have time for ... probably until next year.

Have a good one :-)

Kim