cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] Suggestion regarding the right to switch the media and format of a Work

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Eduardo Hernández <coz.eduardo.hernandez AT gmail.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] Suggestion regarding the right to switch the media and format of a Work
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 09:20:43 -0430

Hi list,

some discussion on the licenses has spakled on the cc-community list,
and I'm following the advice of suggesting changes to the licenses if
I have an idea of what can be improved:

The way I understand now, even the CC-BY no derivs license (
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/3.0/legalcode ) allows to
change the media and format of a Work but only if it's necesary to
reproduce, distribute or perform the Work, and this permission is
given in a small paragraph at the bottom of the License Grant section.

I suppose that the reason this isn't stated more prominently, as a
separate right given by the license, is because it is dependent on the
other rights. However, I think it would be beneficial to display it as
a separate right, and not as an aclaration.

- Eduardo Hernandez

  • [cc-licenses] Suggestion regarding the right to switch the media and format of a Work, Eduardo Hernández, 04/08/2010