cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CC0 beta/discussion draft 2

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CC0 beta/discussion draft 2
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 20:26:36 -0400

On Friday 18 April 2008 18:23:52 John Hendrik Weitzmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can confirm for Germany basically all Gisle said for Norway.
>
> Something I just posted on the cc-europe list:
>
> The only possible solution under monistic systems with strong moral
> rights would probably be an assertion to never claim and enforce any
> unwaivable right in the work. But courts won't be readily willing to
> uphold such an auxilliary construction designed to circumvene
> non-dispositive law.

Well, one perhaps nasty way to partially counteract this would be to put in
the license part where it is revoked should moral rights be asserted on
follow on works.

So, if you build on a work from a place that has no moral rights or allows
them to be waived, then, should you assert your moral rights on a follow on
work, you would lose the rights granted to you on the original work... Would
the courts take kindly to such a play? It just doesn't seem to be a good way
to approach things in any case. I think we need to be fostering cooperation
and this seems like it could be counter productive, even if it may work...

Thoughts?