cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CC vs GPL: how to ensure compatibility and compliance

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Gregory Maxwell" <gmaxwell AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Javier Candeira" <javier AT candeira.com>, "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CC vs GPL: how to ensure compatibility and compliance
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 02:18:22 -0400

On 9/29/07, Javier Candeira <javier AT candeira.com> wrote:
> Some time ago we discussed CC vs GPL in this list. Rob Myers convinced me
> that there was no problem in software using CC-licensed resources, as they
> would not be linked.

Of course.. then you run into cases where people have cc-nc-nd
licensed the localization files with all the text for an application
in an attempt to unfree code they are obligated to leave GPLed (I can
provide an example of exactly this if someone wants to see it).

Even things like this are technically okay, they are violations of the
spirit of the license and the likely intentions of the licenses. As
such such actions should be avoided.. and may well be precluded by
future editions of the GPL should practices like that become
widespread.

Just something else to keep in mind related to this subject.