cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] What precisely IS "commercial" use?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] What precisely IS "commercial" use?
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 18:54:04 -0500

paola.dimaio AT gmail.com wrote:
> Commercial use is when there is an economic and or financial benefit
> deriving from the usage
> is there is no money exchanging hand, it can be said that its not commercial
> if there is some other benefit which is not money, it will have to be
> evaluated on a case by case basis
> (from what I know)

While this is (IMHO) a sensible interpretation of "non-commercial", it
is NOT the interpretation given by CC itself.

The fact that an organization is commercial in nature is enough to make
ANY USE by it "commercial", according to CC's own guidelines.

I think that's non-sensical, but that's what they said.

It's yet another example of why the NC module is bad -- it never
provides any explicit and legally-accountable definition of what
"commercial" and "non-commercial" mean.

Cheers,
Terry