cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] buma/stemra

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Paul Keller <pk AT kl.nl>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] buma/stemra
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 21:22:20 +0200

On Sep 4, 2007, at 2:50 AM, jonathon wrote:

Did I understand the definition that buma/stemra is using for
"commercial" usage correctly?

http://www.bumastemra.nl/nl-NL/MuziekrechtenVastleggen/Flexibel +Collectief+Beheer/Werkdefinitie+Commercieel+Gebruik.htm

* Elk gebruik van het Werk door for-profit instellingen wordt als
'commercieel gebruik' aangemerkt.
( All usage by a for-profit organization is "commercial usage");
* Werk tegen betaling of andersoortige financiële vergoeding
(All usage that generates revenue is commercial usage.);
* 'commercieel gebruik' ... werk-, verkoop- en winkelruimtes ...
kerken, (dans-)scholen, instellingen voor welzijnswerk, en dergelijke.
( Commercial usage includes ... in a workplace, sales floor, or shop
space... churches, dance studios, health clinics, etc.);

Everything outside of those three example instances is
"non-commercial" and royalties are not required to be paid.

a) Did I miss any salient points of what constitutes "commercial"?

b) Did I misunderstand any of salient points of what constitutes "commercial"?

dear Jonathon,
i think your understanding is pretty much to the point. for yoyr reference here is our (unofficial) translation of the clarification of commercial usage. let me know if you have any more questions.

Within the scope of the pilot between Creative Commons Netherlands and Buma/Stemra, ‘commercial use’ should be taken to mean the following:

Every use of the Work by for-profit institutions is qualified as ‘commercial use’.

In addition, within the scope of the pilot, distributing or publicly performing or making available online the Work against payment or other financial compensation (including the use of the work in combination with ads, publicity actions or other similar activities intended to generate income for the user or a third party) is qualified as ‘commercial use’.

Within the scope of the pilot, ‘commercial use’ also includes the distribution or public performance or having broadcasting organisations make the Work available online, as well as using the Work in hotel and catering establishments, work, sales and retail spaces.This also applies to organisations that use music in or in addition to the performance of their duties, such as, for example, churches, schools (including dancing schools), institutions for welfare work, etc. Separate licenses are available from Buma/Stemra for such kinds of use.

all the best from amsterdam,
paul keller (cc-netherlands)
--
paul keller | knowledgeland