cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CC and phone-hold music

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CC and phone-hold music
  • Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 10:02:57 -0400

On Monday 06 August 2007 03:18 am, David Maeztu wrote:
> Jessica Coates escribió:
> > Hi all
>
> Hi,
>
> > We’ve had an inquiry from a non-profit wanting to use CC music on their
> > phone hold system (ie as “music-on-hold”).
> >

> > As far as I can see, this would be allowed by the CC licences. The only
> > question is attribution – any suggestions how you might achieve this?
>
> For example in a CC-BY-NC-SA, one of the most used licenses you can read:
>
> 4.d)
> If You Distribute, or Publicly Perform the Work or any Adaptations or
> Collections, You must, unless a request has been made pursuant to
> Section 4(a), keep intact all copyright notices for the Work and
> provide, reasonable to the medium or means You are utilizing: [...]
>
> I think it´s reasonable to the medium (the phone music on hold) not to
> do the attribution every time.

To my mind the real killer is not the attribution requirement which, as you
say, is reasonable to the medium, but the requirement re the URI which has no
reasonable exceptions as far as I remember and I have pointed this out
previously with respect to radio station use.

No one suggested any workable solutions, nor do I see any as the licenses are
currently worded. I would be happy to be educated otherwise.

> I think that kind of situations was the reason of that exception to
> attribution.
>
> > There’s leeway within the licence for attribution appropriate to the use
> > – but how far does that go?
> >

> > Jessica Coates
> >
> > Project Manager
> >
> > Creative Commons Clinic