cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] Is a cover of a song a derivative work?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Guy Johnston <guydjohnston AT googlemail.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] Is a cover of a song a derivative work?
  • Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 20:42:21 +0100

Hi, if a song (the composition, not a recording) is licensed under a CC
licence which prohibits
derivative works, does anyone know if performing a cover version of it would
legally be seen as
simply a copy of it, and therefore allowed, or as a derivative work and
therefore not allowed? I
think that's quite an ambiguous case, and I'd guess that performing it
accurately would be seen as a
copy, but a recording of that performance would be seen as a derivative work.

Thanks,

Guy

--
Please avoid sending me Microsoft Office files -