cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] Children's creations under CC License

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Andres Monroy-Hernandez <andresmh AT media.mit.edu>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] Children's creations under CC License
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 00:17:49 -0400

Dear list members,

We have created a new programming language called Scratch that lets kids easily create animated stories, video games or interactive art. We also created a website where kids can share their creations with one another. The source code for all projects is always available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.

Each project page has a "Some rights reserved line" statement which links to a kid-friendly description of our CC license:
http://scratch.mit.edu/pages/license

This is how a project page looks like:
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/HazelleafKitty/15115

I have some questions:
1. What do you think of the kid-friendly license?
2. Do you know of other projects that let kids create their own content and license it?
3. Are kids "allowed" to license their own content?
4. Could you point me to any academic or legal documents that touch upon this topic in the context of CC licenses?

Thanks !

--
Andrés
MIT Media Lab