cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Creative Commons and Collection Society

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: jonathon <jblake AT eskimo.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Creative Commons and Collection Society
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 06:54:38 +0000

Jamison Young wrote:

> Is CC not best just letting artists know that they should
> get some good advice prior to joining a CS ?

The theory is that the artist will get good professional
advice before releasing their material under any licence.
It doesn't matter if it is a standard ARR, or an RIAA
inspired your rights removed, or a creative commons SA
licence.

If the practice is different then the artist has themselves
to blame, for not looking at all of the legal implications
prior to selecting the licence that they use.

The best thing that any artist could do, is have an attorney
go through every contract that they are offered, and reject
every contract that is tilted against the best interests of
the artist. This includes contracts with collecting
societies.[If it means rejecting a recording contract, so
what. There are other organizations that will offer
recording contracts. (And yes, I'm speaking from
experience. I've walked away from two recording contracts so
far.]

xan

jonathon