cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CC license questions

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CC license questions
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 20:40:25 -0500

Roland Shoemaker wrote:
> Hey,
> I do not really have a legal mind and i would like to try and confirm
> something i believe, any input greatly appricated. If i produce something
> and license it under a CC liecense, one that allows others to freely
> distrubte said material as long as no profit is made, can i at a later date
> issue a c&d to some one who is redistrubuteing my material citing 17
> U.S.C106. Also can i choose when the license applies.
> E.g. I create the content but i dont want the license to apply to a certain
> time (Choosing when the license applys and when it does not i suppose) then
> after that time the license does apply?

AFAIK, there is nothing which prevents you from setting a specific date
in the FUTURE from which point the license applies (i.e. a post-dated
release). From a technical PoV, you aren't actually using the CC license
initially if you do that -- instead you are using an "all rights
reserved" license up until that time. So none of the CC license terms
apply until you say they do.

HOWEVER, once the license goes into effect, you CANNOT REVOKE it (except
for the specific causes listed in the license -- there are some abuses
which result in automatic termination of the license).

I THINK this allows what you actually want to do, but I'm having a hard
time following exactly what you want. What it does NOT allow is for you
to release something under a CC license and then attempt to take that
license away in the future!

Cheers,
Terry