cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] Appropriate license and attribution for lyrics on ccMixter

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Kevin Phillips (home)" <tacet AT qmpublishing.com>
  • To: <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] Appropriate license and attribution for lyrics on ccMixter
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 21:55:12 -0000

Hi,

Some of the folks over at ccMixter (myself included) are wondering how to
best include an appropriate license within the ccMixter framework for lyrics
we post along with song remixes.

For instance, I created a remix of an instrumental track which had a
by-nc-sa 2.5 license. Part of my "remix" involved me restructuring the
original instrumental and adding lyrics. Is it fair to assume any lyrics I
post are covered by and inherit the same license?

eg. http://ccmixter.org/media/thread/934

As you can see I posted a textual version of the lyric for everyones
benefit. Should I be adding something to the text about the licensing of
the text component, as is suggested by Randumbdots in the ccMixter forums?

http://ccmixter.org/media/thread/934

"The following lyrics are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution
3.0 License. To view a copy of this license, visit
http://creativecommons.org/... or send a letter to Creative Commons, 543
Howard Street, 5th Floor, San Francisco, California, 94105, USA."

Presumably it's not appropriate to mix licenses? ie. have a different
license for the audio and text components?

Many thanks,
Kevin (aka tacet::ccMixter)