cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] NC considered harmful? Prove it...

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] NC considered harmful? Prove it...
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 20:19:48 -0400 (EDT)

> I don't see what is wrong or harmful with a single person or a small
> project using the NC license to protect their "commercial" interest,

That's a perfectly fine use for CC-NC.
It is a good license to give away free samples,
encourage fans to trade your work,
explicitely allow for fan fiction, fan derivatives,
and that sort of thing.

> The GPL is great at what it does, which is ensuring the spread
> and improvement of free software; however, I do not see how its
> model could be applied beneficially to the world of arts and
> culture, not in most cases anyway.

Well, the original question was whether or not CC-NC
is harmful to a "commons". And this almost automatically
requires addressing licenses that ARE commons licenses.

That GNU-GPL is mentioned does not mean GNU-GPL is implied
to be the end-all-be-all license to solve all problems
all the time, just that GNU-GPL is a commons license.
And the generally agreed upon, though not neccessarily
proven, viewpoint of GNU-GPL and CC-NC is that CC-NC does
not create as deep or as wide a commons as GNU-GPL does.

Greg

--
"Hunger Pangs" is back and
the second edition better than ever!