cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] NC considered harmful? Prove it...

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] NC considered harmful? Prove it...
  • Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 03:30:30 +0000

On Thu, 2007-03-08 at 09:05 -0500, Luis Villa wrote:
> On 3/8/07, Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com> wrote:
> > > You could perhaps measure re-use of
> > > samples in ccmixter for a similar study?
> >
> > That's the sort of thing I'm looking for. Yes, ccMixter identifies
> > sources, doesn't it? I could select samples of works at random,
>
> Presumably CC could give you access to the database, and you could use
> all of them, not just a random sample.

Yes, CC would. This reminds me that we should add source info to the
atom dump. Probably not for a couple weeks.

ccMixter data is worth looking at, but skewed badly in at least two
ways:
* No by-sa present
* Whatever license used by the most popular contest source(s) will have
been re-used the most, regardless of its impact globally

--
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/User:Mike_Linksvayer