cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Clarification needed - Copyleft AND Share-Alike with Images

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Clarification needed - Copyleft AND Share-Alike with Images
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 18:56:15 -0600

drew Roberts wrote:
> To me the question is why copyleft cannot work this way? Is it impossible
> or
> just the result of a choice on the part of CC? For instance, couldn't mere
> aggregation be off limits for BY-SA works? (Not should it or shouldn't it,
> could it or couldn't it?)

1) It's decision by the framers of the copyright law, because it's a
fair use issue.

2) UNLESS you count *contracts* in which you can legally give up rights
you would ordinarily have. This is a very ethically suspect idea, but I
understand that courts have supported the Big Money on this point, so it
is possible.

3) In which case Creative Commons could choose to go the EULA route,
removing fair use rights. But then they would EVIL, EVIL, EVIL. And we
should spit upon their name.

Of course, some people are already doing that over the whole
non-commercial thing -- so they'd probably find that kind of clarity to
be an improvement. ;-)

But honestly, I don't think CC wants to go there. Freedom and fair use
rights are important. They need to be expanded, not restricted.

Cheers,
Terry