cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Comments on the latest public CC draft

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT prodromou.name>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Comments on the latest public CC draft
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 13:47:49 -0500

On Sun, 2007-25-02 at 19:16 +0100, Francesco Poli wrote:

> In a recent message[1] to the cc-licenses list, a new draft of CC-v3.0
> licenses was announced.

I don't believe this is a draft anymore; it's now a released version.
Since this is the case, it probably makes sense to have at least part of
this conversation on debian-legal.

> This is unchanged with respect to the previous drafts: I'm not yet
> convinced that this clause meets the DFSG.

I disagree, and I think there's been some general agreement that if the
request-to-remove only applies to metadata like authorship credits, it's
DFSG compatible. Note that the original author cannot interfere with the
contents of the work itself.

> This is unchanged with respect to the previous drafts: credit must be
> "at least as prominent as the credits for the other contributing
> authors". Even if the licensor's contribution is not comparable to
> others.

"*IF* a credit for all contributing authors of the ... Work appears." In
other words, if you're listing out everybody, list out everybody. If you
don't want to list out everybody, you can just leave people out as you
wish.

I, and other members of the Debian CC Working Group, *don't* think that
that is an onerous burden that makes it practically difficult or even
impossible to exercise DFSG rights.

I disagree.

~Evan

--
Evan Prodromou -- http://evan.prodromou.name/

"By God! I will accept nothing which all cannot have their counterpart
of on the same terms." -- Walt Whitman, "Song of Myself"