cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] open source non commercial license

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Emerson Clarke" <emerson.clarke AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] open source non commercial license
  • Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 16:28:41 +0000

Ivo,

Thanks, but I think the LGPL is the wrong direction for me, it
clearly allows commercial use through linking. The point that i was
trying to make is that i do not want to allow any commercial use
whatsoever without licensing.

Companies like Apple through their use of open source libraries like
KDE indirectly make a lot of money. Thats becuase they can claim that
they are not using or selling the open source library as part of their
main product, rather they using it to develop a feature which they
give away for free.

Its a loop hole which im not happy with, i want my software to only be
free for non commercial uses. And by that i mean that any company
making money of the software either directly or indirectly (aka
linking) should pay a license.

I have read a lot about D, it sounds exciting and i would very much
like to port some or all of the library to that language. But first i
need to get it out there, and i cant do that until i sort out the
licensing.

The reason i posted the question to the creative commons is that i
think this issue actually represents a largely unfilled gap in open
source licensing. There is no license currently that i know of which
creates a business model for open source software...

Perhaps there should be one ?

Emerson