cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] CC licenses appropriate for composite content including code?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Becker, Gene" <gene.becker AT hp.com>
  • To: <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] CC licenses appropriate for composite content including code?
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 19:20:40 -0600

I would like to use CC licenses for publishing a composite type of interactive content, which may bundle together images, audio, video, text, and code (scripts) into a single piece of content.  I'm trying to determine whether this is an appropriate use of the CC model, and also whether there are any useful precedents for similar usage.  In particular I know that CC does not recommend putting software under a CC license, and my pieces will sometimes contain a substantial amount of scripted code.

It seems to me that my case is not too different from a web page composed of text, images, CSS and HTML code.  Also similar to a multimedia presentation with SMIL markup, for example.

Any thoughts/insights greatly appreciated.

Gene Becker
HP Laboratories
gene.becker AT hp.com