cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] NonCommercial and ads

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Michael Welp" <wikianer AT googlemail.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] NonCommercial and ads
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 14:17:21 +0100

Hello,

I have a question about the meaning of NonCommercial.

If a piece of text is licensed under a NC-license, is one allowed to put that text on a web page with ads?

For example, someone released an article about tomatoes under a NC-license. I like that article and put it on my website. There are ads displayed on my website, for example, Google AdSense:

1. If I placed the ads on the website and receive the revenues, would that violate a NC-license?

2. I use a free web hosting service. The business model of the web hosting company is to offer free hosting and to place ads on the free websites to make money.
2.1. Would I violate a NC-license although the ads have not been placed by me and although I do not receive the revenues?
2.2. Would the web hosting company violate a NC-license although the licensed text has been put online by me and not by the company?

3. The ads are independent from the licensed text, e.g. the text is about tomatoes and the ads are about computer software. Violation?

4. The ads refer to the licensed text. For example, Google AdSense works this way: the content of a web page is analyzed and then matching ads are automatically displayed. For example, ads about tomato soup, how to grow tomatoes, etc.

Regards,
Michael

PS: Sorry if my English reads not that smooth -- English is not my mother tongue.