cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Is BY-ND a good choice for an Internet XML-based protocol specification?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Lucas Gonze" <lucas.gonze AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Is BY-ND a good choice for an Internet XML-based protocol specification?
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 13:51:55 -0800

That's a promising approach, Luis. Isn't getting a TM a process for a
lawyer, though? Wouldn't we need to find an attorney willing to walk
the trademark through the process?

I imagine we could use the XSPF validator at xspf.binera.de for the
conformance test.

-Lucas

On 1/24/07, Luis Villa <luis AT tieguy.org> wrote:
FWIW, Lucas, the route most large free-ish projects seem to be going
is to use TM for interoperability protection- abuse the spec all you
want, but if your product doesn't conform, you can't it _______(tm)-
compliant.

Doing this really well requires creating a conformance test, and it
rankles certain free software people (including myself.) But as far as
I can see it seems like the least of the various evils.

I'm not sure the approach has ever been tested, but it seems sound
given the information-quality goals of trademark law.

Luis