cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CC-BY-RY?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CC-BY-RY?
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 10:49:41 -0500

On Sunday 14 January 2007 09:57 am, Rob Myers wrote:
> Audun Myhra Bergwitz wrote:
> > Wouldn't one solve the problems with NC by rather having a commercial
> > license based on percentages? Ie something which says that you're free
> > to use this any way you like, but if you make any money by the use you
> > owe me X % of that in royalties (RY). Any percentage of 0 is 0, so then
> > non-commercial would be anything where there's royalties=0?

Just looking at this again, actually, wouldn't NC be anything where RY=100,
that is, you have to give me everything you make on it? Which is effectively
NC?? Is it?

> I've just read "Promises To Keep" and the "Alternative Compensation
> System" proposed in that uses a percentage system for derivative works.

Has anyone here ever read Ted Nelson's book and looked at project Xanadu?

http://cla.uconn.edu/reviews/cmptrlib.html
http://xanadu.com/nxu/

He has wanted to have something like automatic use and royalties built into
the system for a long time.

The system is supposed to handle the royalties accounting automatically.
(IIRC)

> This isn't how Fair Use currently works though, so I'm not particularly
> keen on it, even though I do see how it looks fairer than a world in
> which the only options are NC and ARR.
>
> - Rob.

(da idea man)
National Novel Writing Month