cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] different license for different bitrate

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] different license for different bitrate
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 16:43:58 -0600

Dana Powers wrote:
> This does highlight that there may be an independent creation problem
> with licensing multiple bitrates. If there's no actual copying
> involved, I can see no reason why a licensor of a CC-BY low bitrate
> file couldn't upsample themselves, to the extent that technology makes
> that possible.

Of course, but an "upsampled" 128 kbit file made from a 64 kbit original
contains no additional information from the 64 kbit (unless they add
it). It's not the same work as a downsampled 128 kbit file made from a
384 kbit original.

To make this perhaps a bit more clear for those of us with a visual
bias, if you blow up a 256x256 JPG to 2048x2048, you will get scaled-up
JPG artifacts, not more detail. A blow up of a 256x256 picture is not
the same picture as a reduction from the 2048x2048 original that the
256x256 file was made from.

Cheers,
Terry

  • Re: [cc-licenses] different license for different bitrate, Terry Hancock, 01/03/2007