cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Parallel Distribution Statement

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Parallel Distribution Statement
  • Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 01:48:24 -0500 (EST)

> those users will probably be scared by the idea of taking a file
> in a (clean) format and convert it to another (DRMed) format in
> order to load it on their DRM-only player.
> As long as their freedoms are not reduced by the application of
> DRM being made by someone else, why not allow this scenario?

If the DRM'ed file allows the exact same rights as the non-DRM'ed
file, fine. If the DRM is applied simply to allow the rights to
be exercised on a platform, and you can copy, derive, and distribute
that DRM'ed file, then that form of DRM isn't a problem.
I think the wording of the license only disallowes DRM that actually
restricts the rights to work, and then only applies to a distributed
work.

If the DRM adds restrictions, though, then its a different story.

Greg
--
Take the Courage Vow
http://www.couragevow.com/