cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Parallel Distribution and Non-Copyleft Licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Parallel Distribution and Non-Copyleft Licenses
  • Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 14:21:13 -0500

On Wednesday 29 November 2006 01:10 pm, Benj. Mako Hill wrote:
> While I understand that the people active on this list on this topic
> are unrepresentative of most CC users (e.g., most people here seem to
> only use or support the most permissive licenses which only represent
> a small portion of CC license use), I was curious about one potential
> compromise:
>
> Since the dominant argument against parallel distribution on this
> list seems to boil down to a critique that the clause provide a way
> to sidestep copyleft, is there any objection to a parallel
> distribution clause only for those licenses that do not include the
> SA option?

I think that has been floated already, personally, I might be able to live
with that, and even if only for straight SA and not NC-SA, but I would prefer
for selfish reasons that it applied to the original of straight BY works and
to BY derivatives left BY and to BY derivatives converted to BY-SA works. BY
derivatives going more closed are not my personal concern.

Others can speak for themselves.

Now, that is admittedly a selfish stance, I will be glad to take a stance
that
is not as selfish should I be called on to do so.

> Regards,
> Mako

(da idea man)
National Novel Writing Month