cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] slightly OT: academic legal theory behind the 'human readable' licenses?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Andres Guadamuz <a.guadamuz AT ed.ac.uk>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] slightly OT: academic legal theory behind the 'human readable' licenses?
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 09:20:06 +0000

Luis,

While I don't know if there was any sort of doctrinal consideration with
the creation of the Commons Deed, I can tell you that at least in
Scotland we drafted the licences under the requirement of writing form
contracts in "plain intelligible language" contained in section 6 of the
the UK's Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999:
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1999/19992083.htm

Regards,

Andres

Luis Villa wrote:
> Hey, all (but really primarily to the lawyers on the list :)-
>
> As I was stumbling through Contracts this morning (specifically, a
> lecture on interpretation of contracts) I was reminded of the human
> readable versions of CC contracts/licenses. The question that came to
> mind: were those inspired by any particular strain of academic thought
> on license legibility/usability? Or did they just come out of a
> general ease-of-use impulse? If there was a strain of academic thought
> on the issue that was inspirational or otherwise important, any
> pointers to where I could start reading?
>
> Thanks in advance- let me know if my question itself is incomprehensible :)
> Luis

Andres Guadamuz
AHRC Research Centre for Studies in
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Old College, South Bridge
Edinburgh, EH8 9YL

Tel: 44 (0)131 6509699
Fax: 44 (0)131 6506317
a.guadamuz AT ed.ac.uk
http://www.law.ed.ac.uk/ahrb/

IP/IT/Medical Law LLM by Distance Learning
http://www.law.ed.ac.uk/distancelearning/