cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] choosing a new license at freesound, please help

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Jonathon Blake" <jonathon.blake AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] choosing a new license at freesound, please help
  • Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 01:03:21 +0000

Greg wrote:

> I can take your CC-By-NC sound sample, and use it for a commercial
> aired during the superbowl, with the original creator being unable to
> claim "fowl"?

One of us, you or me (I'm not sure which),
has a complete misunderstanding of what
the CC-NC license allows and does not allow,

Until a couple of days ago, I would have thought that such a situation
was impossible. Then the NC Licence and CC Guidelines were walked
thru, to demonstrate how to do it.

How to do it is extremely non-obvious, but is within the bounds of
botht eh NC Licence, and CC Guidelines on what the NC part
means/implies. [Step one is to grok how NC linced materail can be sold
at the retail level, by an organization. Only after that does it
become possible to grok how a commercial can be acceptable use, under
an NC licence.]

xan

jonathon
--