cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] choosing a new license at freesound, please help

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Bram @ Freesound" <freesound AT iua.upf.edu>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] choosing a new license at freesound, please help
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 17:09:29 +0200

Hello everyone,

I've been trying to hold out subscribing to cc-licenses myself, but it looks like it's really necessary now. Over at the Freesound Project we're in a bit of trouble:

We know Sampling+ is no good for samples/soundfx/field-recordings etc so we are looking into choosing a new set of license(s).

Now there is one big problem: none of the legal code in either sampling+, by or by-nc is particularly well suited for sound effects. A sound-effect is almost invariably used as a "whole work" in the derived work. Hence the definition of "derived work" is a bit strange when talking about "samples".

Also, sometimes a sample can be more than just a sample: someone doing a field recording of a street-organ is considered OK for freesound, but then we're talking about something rather different.

Anyway: Could someone more knowledgeable than me please do an analysis of using Sampling+, Attribution and Attribution-Noncomm in the context of sound samples (think < 1 minute sound effects you use as building blocks to create something else). What are the repercussions of using these various licenses for derived work (and what exactly does one call derived work of a 50 millisecond 'bass drum hit' sample?)

for those interested the related forum discussion -which is attracting a LOT of attention- is here:
http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1209
It would be extra-super-great if someone from CC could jump in once in a while to shed some "legal light" on the points raised, but I can understand if this would be a problem.

thanks a lot,

- bram, the freesound project ;-)