cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Attribution license

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Nic Suzor" <nic AT suzor.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Attribution license
  • Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 08:00:30 +1000

On 10/1/06, drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com> wrote:
Oops, I know that, my bad. So, to answer, properly, no, am am not AS
passionate about maintaining the anti-DRM requirement in the BY license, but
I would like to see it there as well. Do what you like with the ND and NC
licenses.

Using Greg's use cases, I don't believe that the attribution only
licence should prohibit DRM. If ShareAlike-Sam creates content which
he is happy for anyone to use, in practically any way, as long as they
give him credit, I can't read in an extra restriction that says 'as
long as you're not DRM-Dave (or microsoft, or whoever)'. The very
permissive nature of this licence shouldn't discriminate on fields of
use - from the free software perspective, people who use the
revised-BSD style licences are more than happy for their code to be
reused in proprietary, locked-up platforms.

nic

--
Nic Suzor
nic AT suzor.com