cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] sampling + 1.0 and remix competition, with prize for winner

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] sampling + 1.0 and remix competition, with prize for winner
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 19:04:14 -0500

Nova Christopher wrote:
May I ask, how you make ends meet? What do you do for a living,
then?

Sure, why not...

Currently I make money writing and editing. About half of the stuff
I write is under a free-license at this point.

The thing is, free-licensing changes the economics, but there's
still plenty of stuff to sell. When I publish through Free Software
Magazine (http://freesoftwaremagazine.com) I'm writing essentially
on commission or for first-publication rights. By free-licensing it,
I'm essentially giving up on second publication rights (although,
ironically I did receive some interest in purchasing them anyway,
which I'm not sure I fully understand).

On the other hand, because it is free-licensed there's no question
of my work being "taken away from me", because while I've given
up exclusivity on it, I've simultaneously made it impossible to use
exclusivity against me. Anyone who translates my work, for example,
must allow me to use their translation.

FSM is currently a startup, so they are not paying "real money"
at this time, but that will hopefully be changing soon.

Of course, a large part of the reason for that is because I'm also
using this as an opportunity to market ideas that I want to promote
in the interest of my real long-term goals.

Along the way, though, I became an editor for LinuxUser and
Developer, and that does pay the bills. The articles are not free
licensed, of course (LU&D is a bit more traditional than that),
but it is clearly still tied into free software and to a lesser
degree, free culture.

I've fantacized going not only all-free-software-tools (i like AVG
antivirus, CCleaner, the Mozilla family of stuff) but also
off-the-grid completely

Heh. That's a difficult thing to do. There's always dependencies
on the outside world. I think such things should be considered
as matters of degree -- one metric is how long could you live if
the world outside your land just stopped existing? (Even for the
most ambitious off-gridder this is going to be pretty short if
taken completely literally).

> (and speaking of music software, a lot of
what I use is actually free, but the main sequencer. There are loads
of options for virtual synths and instruments/plugins once you've got
a solid host for them).

My understand is that on Linux there are "session managers" that play
the role of the platform application in proprietary model. The individual
components are stronger and there are more of them.

So it's less of a "platform with plugins" and more of a "set of tools with
a glue layer".

> I think in some ways I've been able to not
support the mass market in favor of more grass-roots markets (such as
using biodiesel fuel I get from a local co-op in my town for my car)
but I find that too often, life still requires money.

You seem to think this is some kind of "Good Neighbors"/"Good Life"
scenario. I'm advocating free-licenses and personal freedom, not
doing away with money or the economy!

Even in cultures where 'money' is not present, barter most often will
be.

I'm just curious to know how others get on once they've "left port
for good?" What does that mean, exactly?

Means I'm deeply committed to free software, free platforms, and
free culture. In the By-SA sense, not the By-NC-SA, "going to stick
my toe in the water, but I'm not going to swim because I'm afraid
I'll drown, and there might be sharks in that water -- I've seen 'Jaws'"
sense. ;-)

Clearly I'm betting on the success of this phenomenon.

I'm more technologist than artist though. I mostly regard art as a
passtime, rather than a profession. But of course, I use my artistic
skills in my work as well.

However, I suspect you are more interested in funding models.
Basically, Eric Raymond's "The Magic Cauldron" lists all the basic
methods (with reference to free software). Basically all the methods
I've seen promoted for either software or art condense to one of
the models he describes.

With art, though, genuine patronage is a much stronger possibility,
as is collective patronage.

Cheers,
Terry