cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CC and performing right orgs (ASCAP, SESAC, BMI)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Sincaglia, Nicolas" <nsincaglia AT musicnow.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CC and performing right orgs (ASCAP, SESAC, BMI)
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 10:16:49 -0400

Paul,
According to the Creative Commons FAQ, it will not confuse the
issue.

http://creativecommons.org/faq#I_am_in_a_band;_can_I_use_Creative_Common
s_licenses_but_still_collect_statutory_royalties_such_as_under_statutory
_licenses_for_public_performances?

I am in a band; can I use Creative Commons licenses but still collect
statutory royalties such as under statutory licenses for public
performances?

Yes, so long as you choose a "NonCommercial" license option (ie.
Attribution-NonCommercial, Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike or
Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives) because under these licenses
you reserve the right to collect royalties under statutory or compulsory
licenses for commercial use of your work. Whether, as a practical
matter, you can collect these royalties, depends on which country you
are in (check out the answer to the next question).

Under the Creative Commons licenses that permit other people to make
commercial use of your work (ie. Attribution, Attribution-ShareAlike,
Attribution-NoDerivatives), the licensor waives the right to collect
these royalties.